Tuesday, October 4, 2011

T.G.F.F. (Thank God For Family)


I know, I know…it’s been a loooong time.  I’m gonna save us both some time, and just quit apologizing for taking so long to post.  Let’s face it…I’m busy, you are too, unless you’re a slacker (not naming names, you know who you are—live it up by the way!) but we all have better things to do than to listen to me ramble on excuse after excuse as to why I haven’t been able to sit down for ten minutes and type a stinkin’ blog because I have had so much going on, and blah blah blah…So now that I have sufficiently wasted more of your time and focus with my explanations for not apologizing…I’m still not going to apologize.  Sorry I’m not sorry okay?! Ha! (can you tell I have been cooped in an office all day long???)

On to bigger and better things…much happier things…my family came to visit me a couple of weeks ago.  Boy, did I need that!  Even in this beautiful, amazingly wonderful, new, and exciting city, sometimes there is just no substitution for the comfort of family--the comfort of spending time with the ones who know the most about you and love you unconditionally still.  My mom, dad, and brother arrived on Thursday around midday.  I spent my lunch hour (well worth it) to pick them up from the airport.  Then, I set them off with my car, my address plugged into the GPS, and some confusing directions to head to my place to drop off their stuff before exploring the city while I finished the work day.  (Note to self: take time off work when you have people in town. Duh.) Thursday we ate dinner at one of my favorite spots in Seattle – Purple – yes I have mentioned this place many times before, but it’s sooo good.  Friday consisted of more work for me while the family perused the city on a mission to find the nearest Burger King.  Which-in a city fueled by its organic food craving, extremely health conscious, and/or vegan population-proved to be quite a feat.  Not to be deterred by any matter of mileage, time, or effort, my brother managed to find his beloved Burger King.  (whew!  I was afraid he might have  to eat something that is actually nutritionally beneficial for him…that would be tragic)  In the meantime, while Brent got his fix of French fries and Coke Icee, I managed to get off work a little bit early to spend more time with the family.

Saturday started off with one of the most fun and interesting Seattle experiences yet during my time here.  The whole family rode the DUCKS!  By that, I mean we took a ride on a WWII era duck boat as they’re called.  These contraptions are essentially boats on wheels, with an arbor over the top and benches in the middle for seating.  See below…




These boats take their patrons on tours throughout the city and provide the riders with fun and interesting Seattle facts along the way.  Some facts we learned:
   
   1. There are over 142 Starbucks in Seattle – which is the birthplace of Starbucks.
   2. Over 90 (I don’t remember the exact number, but it was HIGH) percent of the seafood brought into  
       the United States comes through a terminal in Seattle at some point in its journey.
   3. Seattle was founded only about 150 years ago.  (that’s what I call progress!)

(Disclaimer:  these facts are only meant to be interpreted as how I remember them.  They are not to be used in academic reproductions and or stated as/believed to be complete truths).
Our faithful Captian

Seattle Art Museum (The only day this dude has off is Labor Day)

Dad and Brent enjoying the tour


The house boat I'm going to buy

My place from the lake

My city!

Gas Works Park

Sea plane landing...look closely

Me and Mama

Dad enjoying the tour!


After the duck tour, Mom, Dad, and I headed off for Woodinville.  (Brent went to Burger King) This place is only a mere 35 minute drive from Seattle, and is home of nearly 40 wineries with wine tasting rooms, sprawling vineyards, and beautiful grounds.  We made a visit to Lachini Vineyards from the Willamette Valley in Oregon.  I don’t know much about wine, but this was some GREAT vino.  We also made a stop at the home of Chateau St. Michele (Mom’s favorite) and enjoyed the beautiful gardens and grounds there.

St. Michele's Chateau


St. Michele's ducks



St. Michele's trees

St. Michele's vineyard


Sunday, Mom and I went on a hike, and Dad and Brent went to…yep, you guessed it…Burger King. Again.  Now, I had been warning Mom all weekend about how hiking is a different type of fitness.  It just is.  I don’t care how much you run, elliptical, swim, p90x…whatever…it’s not the same as hiking.  I don’t know if it’s the elevation, or the constant incline that gets you, but boy does it get you!  So, after having my warnings disregarded and answered with statements like “I’ve been swimming and walking Otis” and “I’ll beat you to the top, Missy”, I decided to let Mom find out the hard way…which she did!  But, I have to give it to her, she tackled that mountain and lived to tell the story.  Not only that, but she’s determined to tackle a bigger one on her next trip out West.  (I wonder where I get my competitiveness???) 

We ended Sunday with an awesome dinner at Ray’s Boathouse where KTC and Chris joined us.  Friends AND family AND food AND a fabulous view – doesn’t get much better than that in my book!

Sadly, Monday I had to spend my lunch hour going back to the airport.  Although, this time, it wasn’t to pick up my fabulous family, it was to drop them off.  We said our goodbyes, and gave our hugs, and I rode back to work thinking back over the weekend and all that we had enjoyed together.  Even as I recall the weekend now, I get a feeling of happiness still.  I’ll treasure their visit, the laughs, the tears, the hugs, and even the Burger King wrappers left behind by Brent…and I treasure my family – each of them.  Their love.  Their sacrifice on my behalf.  Their commitment to stand behind me no matter what I do or where I go.  I’m blessed and so very thankful for them.  TGFF...Seriously.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh Meg...more tears after reading your blog. Happy tears. You described the visit perfectly! Looking forward to the next one...you might want to start your training now to keep up with me! :) Love you!!!! Millie

    ReplyDelete