Monday, September 5, 2011

You're Not From Here Are You?


Pardon the delay in posts once again…I have been working A LOT.  12 hour days, barely time for lunch, and some weekend visits to the office have consumed my last two weeks.  HELLO REAL WORLD!  I knew I was pushing my luck with 7 years in college, but geez, I feel like you just punched me in the face.  I’m still recovering…

But this weekend, I had a visit from a wonderful friend from college – Austin.  Austin has been a dear friend of mine ever since our soccer-playing days at Ole Miss.  She’s energetic, hilarious, caring, and Southern…VERY Southern!  So you can only imagine the looks (some quizzical, some confused, and some down-right shocked) when the two of us went somewhere and began to speak.  Nevermind the fact that our conservative fashion choices already increase our “foreigner” status here, we were doomed to stick out from the start.  Whether it was the second glances as we received as we argued over SEC football issues or the questions about our origins and just what the heck we were doing in Seattle, people seemed completely perplexed by us.  I’ve been in Seattle now for almost 3 months, so I’d say I’m pretty used to these experiences, but this weekend definitely doubled (if not tripled) the “You’re not from here, are you?” count for sure.  Thanks Aus!

All chiding aside, though, we had a fabulous weekend!  It started with Austin’s arrival late Thursday night.  After picking her up, and her suitcase (which was so big it could have easily housed a second passenger), we headed back to the house to get some sleep before Friday.  Since I had to be at work by 6:30 am (because I’m in the real world now), I left Austin at the house to sleep off the jet lag.  The plan was for Aus to catch the bus in to town, meet me for lunch, and do some exploring before I got off work at 2:00 pm for the holiday weekend.  I left her directions to the bus stop, directions to my work, directions to the market, directions on how to ride the bus, keys to the apartment, my life savings, my first born, (kidding about those last two of course…just half of my life savings) and anything else I could think of that might help her navigate the crazy world of public transportation.  Thinking I probably would not hear from her until close to lunchtime, around 9 am, I got a text from Austin – “I’m on the bus”.  (Well, okay, glad she made it on the bus)…next text, “I am best friends with the driver”.  (Well, good, that should help her get where she needs to go). This was at 9:22 am.  (Keep in mind it should only take 15 or so minutes, with stops, and traffic, and a slow driver to get downtown from my stop).  9:37 am comes around and I start to worry a little that I have not heard from her yet…so I text her – “Where are you?”.  9:45 am – still no word.  (Getting a little nervous now) 9:48 am: Her response – “just got some coffee and walking around”. (Good, Austin (totally sarcastic), just walking around???  Typical laid-back, mellow Austin response.  Although, I’m slightly nervous at this point since I don’t know WHERE she is walking around).  Luckily, she comforted my anxiety with the next message…”At the market”. (Whew…she made it).  So with that, I continued to work until lunch when I met her at Pike’s Place market.  After deciding against the wait at Beecher’s (home of the BEST macaroni and cheese in the city), we ended up at Three Sisters for some sandwiches and salad at a sunny, sidewalk table in Post Alley (I will do my best to post pictures of this place sometime soon).  It was amazing.  During lunch, Austin informed me that she (in true Southern fashion) had befriended several streetside peddlers, a few homeless, and some passionate lobbyists during her excursions downtown.  So after, a quick reprimand from me and a warning to cut that out, I left Austin to do some retail therapy at Nordstrom’s and Forever 21 , and I sullenly headed back to work.

Friday night, we had a nice dinner at my favorite restaurant in Seattle thus far.  It’s called Purple Wine Bar and Cafe, and it’s located downtown.  (check out their website to see what I’m talking about).  This place is swanky and posh, but at the same time, completely urban and very chill.  With floor-to-ceiling windows on all sides surrounding an open dining area anchored by a round tower of wines in the middle, this place is a sight to behold.  Not to mention, their food is exquisite and the wine selection is so impeccable that even yours truly can appreciate it’s diversity and richness.  (That says a lot coming from the girl who would pick a Stella over a glass of wine any day—well, just about any day….)  Anyway, after an appetizer with a name I can’t pronounce (it was basically a de-constructed bruschetta) Austin had the lobster mac and cheese, and I went with my entrée of choice – a New York strip.  Fabulous.  After dinner, we somehow managed to roll ourselves out of the restaurant and back to the car and we proceeded on to the granola-haven that is REI (as spoken about in a previous blog) for some last minute provisions for our ensuing hike.  We came out of there with bug spray, some energy goo (because let’s face it, we are such hardcore hikers that we really need this), and some other things that we HAD TO HAVE.

Saturday morning began early for us, as we climbed out of bed at 6:30 am and packed up for our hike.  We got on the road by 7 and set out on our way South.  Our destination: Mt. Rainier National Park.  Specifically, Grand Park by the back door route past Lake Eleanor (I sound like a real hiker don’t I?! Maybe this hippie thing is rubbing off on me a little…Naaaaah).  After a long drive on some gravel roads (I now know why everybody here drives a Subaru), we reached the trailhead and began our hike just around 10 am.  I chose this hike because it was only 7.5 miles round trip and 80% of the hike was supposed to be fairly flat.  I figured that would be great for Aus and I because it would provide a lot of beautiful scenery, minus a lot of difficult work.  Little did I know the 20% of climbing would make us pay severely for the 80% of flat walking.   The view was completely worth it though.  We passed Lake Eleanor and  through several small meadows before finally reaching Grand Park.
 "No fires - Stoves only"

Lake Eleanor in all her mountain lake glory




Austin, me, and Eleanor

 Still truckin'...

Smoky the bear



Almost there...
 
We had peak-a-boo views of Mt. Rainier the entire way, but when we reached Grand Park we realized how appropriately this land had been named.  These pictures don’t even do it justice.  We could only see the top of Mt. Rainier, but it was totally worth the work.  








The "Silver Forests"



We stopped for lunch and enjoyed the view from the meadow before hoofing it back to the car in an effort to make it back to my place in time to catch some of the Ole Miss/BYU football game on ESPN.  (We’re true Rebels, we can’t help it okay?!...HOTTY TODDY).  Unfortunately, we only made it for the last play of the game – which the Rebels promptly, and in true Ole Miss fashion, lost the game.  I assure you, the scene that ensued as we expressed our disgust was hardly befitting of two Southern ladies.  But hey, as the old saying goes…”We may not win every game, but we ain’t never lost a party!”  And judging by the onslaught of texts I received from the Grove that day, I think everyone took the loss in stride (or stumble…most likely).

Sunday, Aus and I wasted no time as we got up early and headed to Mighty O Donuts for breakfast.  Mighty O is known for their organic donuts (I swear, I’m not turning into a West Coaster) which are really good actually.  We bought a bag, and took off to Discovery Park for a long walk, and some relaxing beach time.  The rest of Sunday consisted of lunch at a new favorite spot of mine and some visits to a few Seattle must-see’s and highlights.  We topped off the day (and the weekend) with dinner at Ray’s Café (the more casual, more affordable, but equally as amazing version of Ray’s Boathouse).  I have heard about Ray’s since I got here, and we decided to give it a try.  It was definitely worth the trip!

 Our view from dinner ... Best sunset I have seen in Seattle!

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and Austin had to leave the Emerald City this morning.  I’m so glad she was able to make the trip, and I’m so thankful for the visit.  It’s nice to be able to show somebody else around this place for a change!  But, no time to be sad, and no time to waste – my parents and my brother are coming for a visit this next weekend.  And, as my mom told me this morning (half kidding, but totally serious), she’d be bringing her white gloves…guess I better get to scrubbing…I’ll keep y’all posted on the next weekend’s adventures!

1 comment:

  1. I promise to leave the gloves at home! No worries... Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete