Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hotty Toddy Y'all


“There is a valid distinction between The University and Ole Miss even though the separate threads are closely interwoven. The University is buildings, trees and people. Ole Miss is mood, emotion and personality. One is physical, and the other is spiritual. One is tangible and the other intangible. The University is respected, but Ole Miss is loved. The University gives a diploma and regretfully terminates tenure, but one never graduates from Ole Miss.” – Frank Everett

I think the quote above is one of the best ways to describe my feelings about my beloved Alma Mater.  Ole Miss was a place that I learned, I grew, I learned to embrace people, and a place that I made friends for life.  I am convinced that some of the world’s most benevolent, kind-hearted, sincere, and welcoming people exist in this town and/or are alumni of the University of Mississippi.  (Yes, I was there for 7 years, and may be slightly biased BUT…it’s true).

Below are some pictures I took over my time at Ole Miss...















A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of traveling back to Oxford, MS (actually on business).  Despite the fact that most of my activities coincided with those of my colleagues from Seattle (who are pretty fun people I must say), I was able to spend some quality time with some very good friends.  I stayed with two of the funniest people I know, aka my little sisters – Whom I lovingly refer to as “The Twins”.  These girls are hilarious, fun, and completely awesome (hey, I taught them everything they know! J okay not really).  Basically, they’re great.  Staying with them was so much fun, and I’ve already informed them that I will be there yet again on my next trip to Oxford.  I also got to see many old soccer friends, some great grad school friends, and many other people that helped make my time in Oxford so very special.  Those people saw me through some of the most exciting and trying times of my life, and for that, I am so very thankful.  My Ole Miss family is irreplaceable and unparalleled.  (Now if I could just move them to Seattle…)

Despite the Ole Miss football loss, the entire gameday experience was awesome…as always.  There is a saying in Oxford that says, "We may not win every game, but we ain't never lost a party!" (by Larry Wamble).  This quote was never so true...At Ole Miss, we don’t just tailgate – we TAILGATE.  Situated in the middle of campus there is a place those familiar with its presence call “The Grove”.  The Grove – is a place where all your tailgating dreams come true.  I’m not joking.  Imagine a large green lawn scattered with towering trees.  Throw in a couple thousand tents (complete with chandeliers, catered food, beautiful presentations, and satellite televisions bigger than the one on my mantle), and you have a perfect picture of the Grove.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the beautifully dressed ladies in their sundresses and the Southern gents in their bowties, slacks and polos.  (Man, I miss that place).  I like to describe it best as my friend Mic quotes – “There’s no place I’d rather be on a fall Saturday than the Grove…It smells like bourbon, Chanel No. 5, and BBQ”.  (I don’t know about y’all, but I’d have to agree that’s a pretty tantalizing combination!
I’m not sure I can even describe this place in words, so I may just have to leave it to the pictures this time…HOTTY TODDY!

My little sisters...aka the twins!

The Grove - Oxford, MS


Vaught Hemingway Stadium


My beautiful soccer friends!



Lily!

Love love love these girls...Hotty Toddy!

My People...

Since Ole Miss, I haven’t done too much, but here are a couple pics from my most recent hiking adventure…in Issaquah, WA (a suburb of Seattle).  This is what I like to call “City Hiking”…we went to a little place on Tiger Mountain known as “Poo Poo Point” (and yes, I know this post lacks jokes, but I’m dead serious about the name…this is not a ploy for humor!)  Enjoy the pictures!
View of Lake Sammamish from Poo Poo point




The woman taking our picture insisted she wouldn't do it unless we were doing a yoga pose...hence, this picture!

"Normal" pose

No comments:

Post a Comment