Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Let's Get Real


Alright…so it has certainly been a long time since I last updated.  I’m sorry I’m not sorry…I have been super busy with life.  Don’t you hate when life gets in the way of everything else?  Sometimes that’s a great thing, but other times, it’s not so hot.  Let me see…where to start…

I guess I’ll start with what is on my mind…It’s time to get real.  When we are forced out of our comfort zone, I think, is when we start to take a different look at things.  That’s certainly been the case for me.  Being jarred from our “normal” routine, or beginning a new adventure really opens our eyes to things that we have either taken for granted or have grown accustomed to expect (as opposed to appreciate).  Coming to Seattle, I have started to understand the importance of realizing what things are most integral to living (truly living) and loving, and getting the most out of life.  Family and friends cannot be replaced.  Relationships can never be discounted, and the awe-inspiring nature that we are surrounded with daily is a constant source of vivacity and energy all in itself (created by a God who is so much bigger than we are). Now, before you start calling me out for drinking the hippie koolaid or accusing me of turning granola, just hear me out…

We are given a limited time here on this Earth, and I believe it is a blessing bestowed upon us by the Man Upstairs to enjoy to the absolute fullest.  We are all guilty of getting wrapped up in work, with school, projects, activities, social obligations, and anything else that somehow manages to worm it’s way into our thoughts and override our attention.  But is that real?  Is that what really makes you tick?  I know it’s not for me…Here lately I have been so busy with doing, that I have almost forgotten about enjoying.  Sure I’ve done some fabulous things, but I haven’t realized the true richness of the experience.  As I sit in my apartment, watching another beautifully breathtaking sunset, I’ve decided to challenge myself (and you too) to not let life get in the way…but let it soak in.  The good Lord provides little blessings for us throughout each and every day, and if you’re not looking, you may miss them, and if you’re looking too hard, you might disrupt their fleeting grandeur.  So I challenge you, as I challenge myself --Slow down.  Take time for the little things.  Remember where you came from.  Love people.  Cherish your friendships and your family – they’re irreplaceable.  Give thanks for the blessings.  And get real.  That’s what it’s all about.

Whew…now that’s off my chest, I will leave you with a few photos of some of my latest adventures! :)

 Hole 17 at Apple Tree Resort in Yakima, WA. I was the only one in our foursome to hit the green.

 These pictures are from Sea Fair - Seattle's annual festival celebrating the beginning of the boating season.  Each year the Blue Angels come to perform a show over Lake Washingon.  This is "Fat Albert"--when you see him, you know the show is about to start!

 Boats out to watch the show -- Angels in the air and Seattle skyline in the background.





 These guys are absolutely amazing.

 Just a little reminder to keep it real. :)






3 comments:

  1. I know it girl. I told my mom I look back and remember being so stressed in whatever stage of my life. And when I reflect back, I ask myself "why was I so stressed?" I really didn't enjoy that time because I was working too hard, or worrying...or whatever TOO MUCH! Great post! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post Joey!!! Hike/paddleboard this weekend?! Let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Can we come live with you? We don't eat much and Willie is house trained...and, I'm working on Da! Love, Grannie

    ReplyDelete