In the past 3 weeks I have had had so many new experiences, and have enjoyed getting to know my new city, and the place I now call home (or I am trying to call home). I have been blessed with the experience of so many beautiful sights, magical views, new friends, and wonderful adventures that I cannot keep them to myself any longer!
My first few days in Seattle, I caught myself referring to my apartment as "my hotel" and spent more time lost and confused than I did coherent and sane. I'm still trying to shake the idea that I am on a long vacation, and realize this is now my home, but that's harder than you think. When EVERYTHING is so new and so very different than anything you have known before, it takes time to adjust and settle in.
The biggest adjustment, though, has definitely been my conversion to public transportation. Being a mildly afflicted germaphobe, and not knowing the slightest thing about riding a bus, much less figuring out the correct route to take to get where I want to go, public transportation was an enormous, daunting experience that I absolutely dreaded. A couple weeks in, though, I must admit -- the bus is growing on me. Sure, I have missed plenty of buses and run for a few more only to find myself inhaling the fumes of the exhaust as my bus drives away. Many times I have been left stranded--bent over, out of breath, lost and trying to unstick my wind-blown hair from my lip gloss as I do my best to construct a Plan B just to get home. But, I don't have to worry about parking, traffic, or a flexible schedule (definitely sarcasm on the last one).
And, more times than not, the bus drivers have been most helpful to me. My favorite driver is a woman I lovingly refer to as "Bus Lady". I don't know her real name (yet), so for all purposes now, she is "Bus Lady" to me. Picture: Reba McEntire meets Roseanne Barr. Throw in a Seattle accent, a set of transition-lense glasses, and a pair of black leather driving gloves and you've got yourself a perfect image of my friend, the "Bus Lady". And actually, for the record, she doesn't call me by my real name either--she calls me "Texas". I'm not sure if it was the accent, the confused look the first day I caught her bus, or the "yes ma'am" that gave me away, but ever since, she has called me "Texas". Now, Bus Lady takes her job very seriously, and if you're wise, you won't put your little sedan in the way of her rig. She's got a loud horn, and she knows how to use it. While most drivers use a microphone to call out their stops, Bus Lady just yells hers out. And NEVER, I mean NEVER, play with the "stop request" bell on her bus...I guarantee you'll only make that mistake once. With that said, I have learned more on her bus than anywhere else. She tells me about the history of Seattle, upcoming events, the best places to eat, where to go and where not to go, and of course, bus riding tips! Bus Lady takes good care of me when I'm on her route, and for that, I'm grateful!
Public transportation certainly hasn't been the only adjustment though. There have been so many more, and not all of them are bad. For example, I could get used to this active lifestyle -- I have already been hiking, kayaking, and I have plans to do so much more of that. In fact, this weekend, I am taking a slight 13-mile hike with Katie, Chris (her boyfriend) and two of their friends. Also, Katie and I have plans to do paddle board lessons soon! (If you don't know what paddle boarding is, you basically stand on a giant surfboard and paddle through the water...sounds crazy, but looks awesome!). I will keep y'all posted as to how it all turns out!
For now, though, here are some pictures from my first few weeks in Seattle and a few of my favorite spots so far...Enjoy!
Pike's Place Market -- Seattle's most notable landmark. Fresh flowers, fresh fish, fruits, vegetables, vendors and more! A must see for any visit to Seattle!
The marina at Golden Garden's Park (Note the "sea monster" in the background)
View from the top of Rattlesnake Ridge after my first hike!
One of my favorite spots in Seattle -- This was taken from the beach at Discovery Park. It's even more stunning in person.
Hard to believe this is in the heart of Seattle -- also Discovery Park.
Peak at Mt. Rainier from Discover Park -- easy to see why this is my favorite spot!
What a great blog! I forgot how good of a writer you are, such great descriptions! I feel like I was right there with you on the bus :)
ReplyDeleteLove it, love it, love it! Looks awesome Jo Jo! So proud of you :-) can't wait for this weekend!
ReplyDeleteSweet Meg. I love the blogg..most especially because I find out more information from your blogg than from you on the phone! (I also get more pictures of you from Katie's blogg!!) Being the life-long secretary that I am, I only found two typos! Not bad at all. Love you much and wish we were all there with you to experience such a wonderful place. Love, Millie
ReplyDeleteWhat is your Twitter handle? I'm @jordanslay. Love the blog obviously since I got to your very first post!
ReplyDelete